What can I expect when a doctor refers me to ABVI?
- Your doctor will provide ABVI with required medical records with his/her referral.
- You will participate in a low vision evaluation to help ABVI determine your special vision needs.
- Your doctor will continue to take care of your general eye health. ABVI will help with your special vision needs. We work as co-management partners.
How will ABVI help me with my low vision?
- We will call you to schedule your private appointment in our office. We encourage a family member, friend, or other support person to participate in this first appointment.
- You will meet with our clinic director and a certified low vision optometrist.
- We will give you several brief vision tests to help our team determine what strength magnification and which other vision devices may help you.
- You will have the option of taking a device or two home for a trial period, after providing a small security deposit.
- You can try the devices at home, and one of our staff members will follow up with you to see which ones worked for you.
Why can’t I just buy special glasses and magnifiers at a store?
- Retail stores usually only sell basic magnifiers in lower powers. Higher strengths and specialty devices are better prescribed by a Low Vision Specialist.
What will ABVI services cost?
- Insurance and Medicare will usually pay for your initial exam with our doctor. A co-pay or co-insurance charge may be required by your insurance carrier.
- Low vision devices are not covered by most insurance plans or Medicare. However, some vision plans may have special riders for low vision devices. We’ll work with you on this. Note: our charges for low vision devices are usually lower than other providers.
- We have a small charge at your first visit, part of which covers our Certified Rehabilitation Therapist’s visit your home, up to two times, as part of our service. You will receive personal help adjusting to your new glasses, magnifiers, and electronic devices within your own home. We will also be able to help with non-visual adaptations within the home.
How do I schedule an appointment?
- Patients – Please call 616-458-1187 to set an appointment.
- Doctors – Please call 616-458-1187 or complete and return this form.
What are your business hours?
Our normal business hours are 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday.